Thursday, October 23, 2014

Road Trip Part I: California Dreaming

As promised, here are some pictures and stories from an incredible road trip I had the privilege of sharing with my younger brother this past July. It was an incredible adventure that forever changed me and ultimately inspired me to begin this blog.

Storybook Wedding of two lovely folks just outside of L.A. This is the event that inspired us to plan a trip. First dance shown below.


From LA we headed north by way of the Central Valley. True story: Every person that asked where we were driving to after LA....."So where are you headed next?" Us: "Bakersfield." Them: "Um.....WHY?" Us: "It's on the way to family." Them: "Oh, okay. Because you couldn't have been going there voluntarily." Below are the beautiful desert hills....before we arrived at our hotel in the hot ditch known as Bakersfield.


Had to show off the appetizers our cousins had waiting for us. DELISH!


Next Stop: SAN FRANCISCO!!!!!! Crossed off several bucket list items: Ride a cable car, visit Alcatraz, see the Golden Gate from up above.



Cable car line was so long we almost missed the ferry. Brother can attest I was about to stroke out.



Direct quote from brother: "I'd rather go to solitary than share a cell with my sister."


Pure. Bliss.


I could not stop smiling. This place has mystical powers.


As if we had special ordered it.....the fog lifted enough for us to watch the sun slip behind the Pacific. A crowd gathered. When the sun set they applauded. :-)



On the edge of Chinatown lies a lovely little nook known as City Lights Bookstore. A literary treat!


From San Fran we headed to our aunt who lives near Bodega Bay, filming location of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. Enjoyed lunch at The Tides where I fulfilled a foodie fantasy: lemon sorbet in a lemon!


Tune in next time for our next stop: Oregon!

1 comment:

  1. Hey dear foodie friend, Costco has these amazing sorbets inside fruit, you MUST try them! (but maybe you already have). They're called "Island Way Sorbet" - lemon pomegranate in lemon, coconut in coconut, mango passion in oranges, and pineapple in -- duh! -- baby pineapples! :-)

    (TWO posts in one day, what a treat!! I basically finished my second post of the day too, but decided to post it tomorrow instead ;-)

    Thanks for sharing more of your trip. YAY for home leave!

    ReplyDelete