Saturday, November 1, 2014

Still Life: Autumn Edition


Remember that "grass is always greener" syndrome I spoke of in my first blog post? It seems to come out more when I'm scrolling through other people's blogs and Instagrams. Everyone's lives look stress-free and squeaky-clean. The most ordinary of objects and situations, from a cup of coffee to lunch to autumn leaves fallen on pavement, look so glamorous. Somehow I have decided that their lives are perfect and beautiful. Why can't mine look like a magazine?!

Then I started taking still life pictures and realized that through a camera lens, everything does look glamorous. By focusing on the positive and avoiding the negative, a certain picture (pun intended) rises to the surface. While this can create an unhealthy rose-colored-glasses impression of one's life-as happened to me initially-I believe it can be spun to appreciate what we do have and look at it in a new way.

Exhibit A: My house. Scored these salt shakers for $3 a set at Wal-Mart. Using them on my mantle.



This is my hot drink station. For Halloween, I bust out my Jack 'o Lantern and Poe items.


Last year I started hanging a star light in my kitchen window. Best. Idea. Ever.


I've been experimenting with color on my dining room table. Scored this table cloth from a thrift store, the table runner from Wal-Mart, and candle stand from TJ Maxx.




Even breakfast looks more glamorous through a camera lens!


Pumpkins from the local pumpkin patch. Gloves and mug from Target.


Simple mums and gourds make the best decorations.



No comments:

Post a Comment