Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 in Review

Today I scrolled through hundreds of pictures, reviewing the past twelve months of memories. First of all, where did the time go? Did we really experience this much in just one year? Second of all, I'm amazed at how many more pictures I take with a phone/digital camera versus "old" cameras with actual film. We didn't waste any shots back then and now we click and click like we've got no memory bank.

Anyway....here is the year in review. I cannot believe how much went down. What a stressful, yet wonderful transformative year. Let's begin with New Year's Day. SNOW! Winter 2014 brought more snow than usual, which was just fine with me.


Next stop....my 29th birthday in March. That month was so stressful I didn't even want a birthday. But then my mom arranged for some of my closest friends to be present and it turned out to be a perfect day.


Shortly after, I took 40 high school musicians to New York City for a music tour. Here my cousin and I pose outside the Majestic Theater after seeing Phantom. Last time I saw this production I was also on a high school music tour....as a 10th grader. :-)


Next came my graduation from James Madison University. I now have my Masters of Music in Music Education. It was a long, hard road but I am so glad I took the plunge. The cherry on top was having three generations together for Commencement. My grandmother went in the hospital over the holidays which makes this moment and this picture even more special to me right now. She was so proud to be able to attend and wear purple. (Go Dukes!)


My dad and I finally bought kayaks! My grandmother already had canoes at her house so now our whole family can enjoy time on the water. Here I am kayaking with a friend from elementary school I reconnected with over the summer.


As summer flew by, the long anticipated west coast/cross country adventure arrived. What a trip. One of the best days was the one my brother and I spent in San Francisco. How I miss that gorgeous place and the lovely family members who gave us the grand tour.


Along came autumn. From visiting the Edgar Allan Poe museum in Richmond, Virginia to hammocking in the Blue Ridge Mountains it was full of new experiences.



And here we are. Can't think of a better way to end the year than being at home with these buffoons (aka my brothers).


Goodbye, Fourteen! Thank you for teaching me how important family and friends are, that down time is crucial to efficiency in the work place, and how travel is the best way to hit the internal reset button. Perhaps the most important thing I learned in 2014 is best articulated by Christopher Robin speaking to Winnie the Pooh.

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you imagine, and smarter than you think."



No comments:

Post a Comment