Thursday, January 1, 2015

Frugal Fifteen


I can hardly believe it is the new year already. This winter break has been a whirlwind (more on that in a later post), but I was determined to get my list out. There are a lot of changes I need to make in my life but for once I'm excited by the challenges ahead. 2014 was full of unexpected twists and turns but it pushed me to grow in ways I never imagined. It made me believe real, honest change is actually possible. On that note, here are my top seven New Year's Resolutions.

1) Pay off ALL credit card debt.

2) In order to pay off debt......NO new clothes. Thrift stores only and even then I'll have a very small budget. Specifics in a later post.

3) Read 30 books because I haven't read for fun since before grad school AND.....I turn 30 this year!

4) Less screen time. (Hi, my name is Kelly and I'm addicted to my phone.)

5) Take better care of my body: specifically stretching and strengthening my back, cutting way back on sugar, and getting sufficient sleep.

6) Practice violin at least 1 hour a week. When I became a music teacher I stopped practicing my instrument. My dream has always been to teach AND perform but teaching quickly took over my life. One hour will sound puny to my musician friends and by our standards it is puny. But it symbolizes a very big step towards my dream of splitting my time between the classroom and the stage.

7) Give more to others. Whether it's in the form of a listening ear, a helping hand, or a handwritten note, I want to be less selfish, less whiny, and more giving.

Tonight I declare that the year 2015 shall now be referred to as "Frugal Fifteen" (aka #frugalfifteen). Join me as I take on a year of super saving, coupon clipping, simple living, letter writing, book reading, violin practicing, yoga stretching, clothes shopping, and teeth gnashing. Like I said.....it will be an adjustment. Know that I appreciate YOU helping keep me accountable just by reading this blog.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment