Sunday, November 2, 2014

Road Trip Part II: Portland, Chicago, HOME!

Here is the second and final installment of this summer's road trip with my brother. I wish I had more time to write! Perhaps one day. There was SO much to see and I'm grateful for the locals (our family and friends!) who took us to the best of the best-both off the beaten path and to tourist traps.

Ah, the glorious Northwest Coast. I had no idea how magnificent it is. We have family in Tillamook who took us to the various beaches, showed us tide pools (and star fish!), and bought us ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. 





Had the pleasure of visiting TWO dear friends in Portland. Liz and I roomed together in college and Andrea and I worked together in Chicago. They were excellent tour guides. Here are Liz and I visiting the Japanese Gardens and then Andrea and I enjoying the downtown Portland.



Famous Portland sign. Based on our observations they are doing a fine job. 


If you go to Portland, consider the following:

(1) Powell's Bookstore: A book lover's PARADISE. Multiple floors filled with dozens of categories (including steam punk and a section for each member of The Beatles) and thousands and thousands of used books.

(2) Eat Vegan! Portland is bursting at the seams with healthy dining. I'm not vegan but both times I ate out I went to vegan restaurants and they were fantastic.

(3) The Bubbling Water Fountains. Everyone I know who has been to Portland gets this picture.


(4) VooDoo Donuts. They really are that good. Our favorites were the Arnold Palmer and Tang donuts. We splurged on a dozen and were set for snacks as we drove back across country.


We left Portland at 9:00pm. This was taken about 8am. We did not stop until Fargo, North Dakota at 9pm. 24 hours in a car together and we still get along. Is there an award for that?


Pausing for a moment of silence in the North Dakota badlands. 


Stopped in Minnesota for some local coffee. Dunn Brothers Coffee's specialty is 24 hour cold pressed coffee and is the strongest brew I have ever tasted. We still had a lot of driving left so naturally we bought the 64 oz. growler. OOFTA!


Spent our last day in Chicago. Some good friends of mine recently acquired a boat and took us out on Lake Michigan to watch the sun set over a city dear to my heart. (I lived there for 3 years.) Nothing quite like the Chicago skyline.


 And then....HOME SWEET HOME Virginia and reunited with our better third. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment